[council] On the use of 'fairness' et al

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Sat Aug 27 11:09:22 UTC 2005

With that being said Phillip, there are other methods that we can use to
find the answers that we need. Being impossible to actually weigh the
sun, scientists turn to indirect methods to find their answer. As I
mentioned on the call, this is appears to be a more appropriate option
for us as well.

Instead of attempting to quantify "fairness" we should be examining the
processes and policies within the GNSO and its structure that were set
in place to further the goal of "fairness" (or whatever ethereal quality
we wish to learn about). If those policies are useful and effective,
then we can deduce that we are fulfilling the requirements of "fairness"
- without having necessarily defined "fairness". Of course, this will
only tell us if we are being fair according to the definition used by
those that initially implemented the processes and policies.

We can further seek to determine whether or not we need to update these
by simply asking the community if the existing policies and processes
meet their respective definitions of fair...

On 8/26/2005 6:32 AM Philip Sheppard noted that:

--
Regards,

	-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one
indispensable condition for social progress."
	- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)