[council] StratPlan comments

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 20:21:42 UTC 2005

Thanks, Mike, for all your work and commitment on these issues.

On the StratPlan comments -- I was a little dismayed to see that I had
somehow totally missed the process. Normally, ICANN posts a notice on the
front page of comments being open and with it off under the StratPlan on the
side, it just wasn't apparent to me.

The letter that Bruce circulated from Paul Twomey somehow didn't shed any
light on this situation for me until I read it a few times... I finally
figured it out -- but with all that is going on in hard and real work for
the Council, and "day job stuff" I just have limited time. So short
deadlines are ever so challenging.

I'll try to do something but it has to be minimal. And I'm hard pressed to
make a firm commitment, given the extreme lack of time.

One suggestion I will pass along to the staff and perhaps you can seek to
support it is that the community expects to see the notices of "open for
further comments" on the front page, with a link right on that page... :-)
That way when we visit the site, we are reminded.... perhaps in the future,
ICANN can adopt an "announce" system like the ITU and others use where one
"opt in" to a notification list and when items are posted on the
reflector/list, all who have opted in are notified and can then retrieve the
documents.   It is a rather simple way to ensure that in a very distributed
and very diverse community, interested parties [who bother to opt in to
notification] are "alerted" to changes or updates or new documents.

Marilyn