[council] Draft resolution Verisign for Council 2 Dec

Alick Wilson alick.wilson at xendra.co.nz
Fri Dec 2 03:02:19 UTC 2005

All

I absolutely support the position espoused by Tony below.

Specifically:

'ICANNs duty is to the whole community, which means they must never give way
to pressure that results in a bad deal being signed because of time
constraints.

'No deal is preferable to a bad deal, and its vital that adequate time is
allowed to ensure this one results in benefits to the broad community. It
would also provide an additional opportunity to progress this issue with
full community involvement.'

Any time constraints are self imposed. There appears to be a truce in the
war between Verisign and ICANN. There is a will by both parties to settle
the matter. The staff and the Board did not see fit to consult with the
community during the negotiations with Verisign. Fortunately, it is not too
late to remedy this failure.

I will be on the line at the Council meeting tomorrow (my final meeting as a
Councilor) to add my verbal support to this if necessary.

Alick