[council] Meeting preparations

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Tue Dec 6 12:38:40 UTC 2005

Allow me to add my thoughts to the agenda planning issue for our physical
meetings.

Assumptions and constraints
I start upon the premise that the Vancouver planning was NOT optimal.
Council members were required to be there for an extended period yet there
were days in between with less important meetings.
An extended ICANN meeting causes resource problems for Council members - in
time and cost.
If there is to be an extension beyond the historic 3-4 days, Council members
need to justify that to themselves and to their organisations.

An ideal programme
{DAY 0 - optional}
AM Council pre-meeting
PM Council pre-meeting with Board

DAY 1
GNSO Constituency Day

DAY 2
GNSO Council public forum + GNSO Council

DAY 3
Board Public Forum

DAY 4
Board

This is the core. All other meetings such as Council task forces,
informational workshops, liaison meetings should take secondary importance
and most should be in parallel sessions within these 5 days.

Next steps
1. Can we as a Council agree (or otherwise) to this (or an amended) ideal so
that we can communicate clear guidelines to planning organisers?

2. We also need to agree on the Council representation for meeting planning
for Wellington.

Philip