[council] TOR for New gTLDs: Public Comments 6 Dec to 9 January

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Tue Dec 20 00:28:53 UTC 2005

Hello Ross,

> It is unclear to me precisely what we are looking for
> comments on - the process, the terms of reference, the issue,
> something else entirely?

You raise a good point, as we seldom frame the question properly when we
seek public comments.  It is something I hope in future would be
assisted by a manager of Public Participation.

My interpretation of the process is that we are actually seeking public
input on the policy issue itself.  The terms of reference have already
been approved by the Council.

At this stage of the process we are seeking statements from
constituencies on what they think the policy should be in response to
the terms of reference, and also seeking input from the public (in the
general sense of the word - ie includes individuals companies,
organisations, Governments etc) on what the policy should be.

We would then use all this input to begin to formulate a draft policy
position that has broad support across the GNSO.

Also rather than just relying on public submissions via a
website/mailing list - that we should arrange some online "events" where
people can participate via phone, discussion forums etc.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin