[council] TOR for New gTLDs: Public Comments 6 Dec to 9 January

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Tue Dec 20 01:25:04 UTC 2005

Having served on the task force that created the PDP, my clear
recollection is that we believed that public comment only at the end of
the process was inadequate. The reason for this was because, typically,
at the end of the process, after the constituencies and task forces have
developed something concrete, little room exists for additional revision
or compromise. As a consequence, we added a special comment period at
the beginning of the process to maximize the opportunity for the
Internet community to have meaningful input. (Background information is
here:
http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/npdpag-report-21aug02.htm)
As our report stated: "We emphasize the importance of collecting
information as part of the PDP. Whether via use of a task force or not,
a primary goal of the PDP is to gather information and data from the
global community and synthesize such data into reports that can be
intelligently deliberated and, we hope, widely agreed upon." We
concluded that public comment periods bookending the Council
deliberations would increase the value of the public comments.

So Bruce is correct: we are asking for substantive answers to the
questions posted. These comments will be synthesized into an initial
public comment report that will become part of the PDP record. I know
that the ALAC intends to submit initial comments during this period.

           Bret