[council] RE: Council report required for the Board on the recently approved WHOIS recommendation

Thomas Keller tom at schlund.de
Thu Dec 22 16:05:58 UTC 2005

Avri,

this recommendation has already been through various iterations
of public comments at the taskforce and council level. What is
presented to the board now is the final product of ICANNs policy
body for gTLDs created through the ICANN policy process. As the
board is not policy body itself it should not have a look at the
recomendation in that respect but rather in terms of possible flaws
or errors making the policy unworkable.

Best,

tom

Am 22.12.2005 schrieb Avri Doria:
> Hi,
>
> In this case I would think that the comment period serves as a guide
> to the board on whether they should endorse the recommendations and
> what sort of the recommendations they might want to make about future
> policy processes on the topic.
>
> I think that it is important that both the council get comment before
> making a recommendation and that the board get comment before making
> a decision.  Also acts as a community check and balance on the work
> we do.
>
> a.
>
> On 22 dec 2005, at 10.29, Marilyn Cade wrote:
>
> >Sometimes I would agree, Avri.
> >

> >But in this case, I am not clear on what this would serve. I think
> >we have met the responsibility for public comment on this policy.
> >

> > Unless you are thinking that this would offer another chance for
> >more organized, coherent, and thoughtful statements that the
> >Council would need to take into account?
> >

> >How would that work, given the state of the policy process we are
> >in now?
> >
> >From:  Avri Doria <avri at acm.org>
> >To:  GNSO Council <council at gnso.icann.org>
> >Subject:  Re: [council] RE: Council report required for the Board
> >on the recently approved WHOIS recommendation
> >Date:  Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:16:32 -0500
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I know this was addressed to Bruce, but I would like to comment that
> >>  I think it is always better to have more public comment rather
> >>then  less.  so if the by-laws allow it, it seems best to have a
> >>comment  period.
> >>
> >>the only proviso would be how it would affect the completion
> >>schedule.  I.e. can a comment period be held and still have a
> >>decision in the pre Wellington time frame.
> >>
> >>a.

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\	A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w