[council] RE: Council report required for the Board on the recently approved WHOIS recommendation

Maria Farrell maria.farrell at icann.org
Fri Dec 23 08:29:28 UTC 2005

Dear all,

Some information which may help your deliberations on this issue:

The Preliminary Task Force report - which described in detail the compromise
the task force reached - was posted for public comments from 12 September to
2 October 2005.  Seven comments were received. These were compiled in the
Final Task Force Report which the Council voted on during the 28 November
meeting.

The Final Task Force Report has been posted on the ICANN website, and
prominently featured on the GNSO home page, since 11 November, 2005.

This issue was also included in Whois Task Force Chair, Jordyn Buchanan's
presentations to the GNSO Public Forum in Mar del Plata and Luxembourg.

The bylaws state that a public comment period is called for when a
recommendation goes from Council to the Board if the proposal will have an
impact on the overall operation of the DNS.  The Board's role in this
respect is not to weigh up the policy aspects but to ensure that the
decision-making is not flawed and that the proposal will not have an adverse
effect on the DNS. As this recommendation's main objective was to create an
exception procedure to deal with a specific and to date unknown exception to
compliance with a section of the bylaws, staff's judgement is that it does
not meet the criteria that require a further public comment period. Staff
will of course respect the Council's wishes on this if the Council decides
that this judgement is in error.

All the best, Maria