[council] Removing Price Caps on Registry Fees

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 21:12:02 UTC 2005

Dear Bret,

I had previously noted that policy is being changed via contract, but I had
not noticed  this particular change. However, I recall that actually .net
was one of the $6 registry fees, was it not?  Thus, if that is the case,
this would be a decrease to a much lower fee for the registrars.

Perhaps we have a difference of perspective with the staff/and even the
Board on what constitutes policy, and therefore the role of the Councils,
and even the advisory role of the ALAC.  If so, we need to at least discuss
that difference of perspective and bridge the gap so that there aren't
continued misunderstandings and confusion.

It is very possible that market forces would be sufficient to keep a
registry at a lower registry fee, however, even if that is the case, the
topic should be put before the Council, it seems to me, and include
consultation with the ALAC.

I had thought that the price cap was $6 but that registries were free to
charge less, but we should ask the registrars.  If that price cap remains in
place, then we may have a different level of concern. :-)

  _____