[council] Registry services - consensus policy- dot net

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 27 11:04:02 UTC 2005

I believe that it will be helpful to have the General Counsel join us for a
segment of our call, in order for us to discuss very pragmatically, what the
options are.

IT is important to understand the following: [perhaps this is only a partial
list and others would want to help to develop the questions we need
answered]:

*       What is the situation in terms of the impact of the negotiated terms
in the .net agreement on other contracts, including .com?

*       What is the role of consensus policy related to the .net agreement
in the two areas where it appears that there is variance: definition of
security and stability, and consensus policy on new registry services: e.g.,
is there a time lapse when consensus policy, whatever it is, again is in
force?

*       Are other registries actually disadvantaged  by being subject to
consensus policy in a way that is "disparate" as suggested in Mr. Neuman's
email.

*

 I do appreciate receiving it, and thank Alick for forwarding it to Council.
The subject has been much on my mind since Luxembourg. And I've spent a good
deal of time on this item, including reading contracts, and looking for
information in different agreements. I may say more about the support that
is needed for Council in the area of legal advice on our call. However,
since we have discussed this point previously with senior management,
perhaps it is only necessary to gently mention it.

I will say only that I feel a sense of deep disappointment about where we
are in this situation, after being quite impressed by the hard work of the
Council/Chair on this rather arduous, in depth, and detailed amount of work
in developing a balanced process.

These are  NOT circumstances where I expect, ever again, to find Council. I
expect better. And assume the "collective we" will strive for better.

However, having said that, I want to fully understand Council's options, and
the implications of where we are.

Creating balanced policy is our job. And understanding the implications and
parameters of our options is as well.

That takes supportive activity from the staff.

Thus, we need the General Counsel, or the deputy on the call to provide
clarifications. My initial questions are above. The clearer we can be on our
questions, the  quicker we can get through the background and legal
clarification we need, and the quicker we can get to the discussion of the
policy and our vote.

  _____