[council] Re: Regarding definitions of Admin and tech contacts

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue May 10 12:27:57 UTC 2005

On 10/05/2005 7:35 AM Bruce Tonkin noted that;

> So I can conclude that "one" of the purposes of the Registrant and
> Administrative contact is to provide authorization for a transfer.   I
> doubt that this is "the" only purpose.

The definitions are a synthesis of much prior work on the subjects,
including IETF RFCs, IANA BCPs and Registry/Registrar FAQs. They were
intended to be standalone definitions that provided a mapping between
the more regular colloquial of internet users, engineers and policy
makers and those of the ICANN contracts - i.e. "Registrant" and "Domain
Holder".

> I could find no reference to the Technical contact.
>
> If there are other definitions/references in the transfers work - please
> provide them.  It is possible that some of the definitions were included
> in other task force documents.

http://www.icann.org/gnso/transfers-tf/report-exhc-12feb03.htm

excerpt:

Contact: Contacts are individuals or entities associated with domain
name records. Typically, third parties with specific inquiries or
concerns will use contact records to determine who should act upon
specific issues related to a domain name record. There are typically
three of these contact types associated with a domain name record, the
Administrative contact, the Billing contact and the Technical contact.

Contact, Administrative: The administrative contact is an individual,
role or organization authorized to interact with the Registry or
Registrar on behalf of the Domain Holder. The administrative contact
should be able to answer non-technical questions about the domain name's
registration and the Domain Holder. In all cases, the Administrative
Contact is viewed as the authoritative point of contact for the domain
name, second only to the Domain Holder.

Contact, Billing: The billing contact is the individual, role or
organization designated to receive the invoice for domain name
registration and re-registration fees.

Contact, Technical: The technical contact is the individual, role or
organization that is responsible for the technical operations of the
delegated zone. This contact likely maintains the domain name server(s)
for the domain. The technical contact should be able to answer technical
questions about the domain name, the delegated zone and work with
technically oriented people in other zones to solve technical problems
that affect the domain name and/or zone.

Regards,

- --

                       -rwr

Tucows Start Service: http://start.tucows.com

My contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
My weblog: http://www.byte.org/

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
 - Mark Twain