[council] ICANN Board Resolutions - 03-May-05

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Sat May 14 16:22:08 UTC 2005

Dear Council Members:

Please be advised that the ICANN Secretary has posted the Board Resolution
on the ICANN website in connection with the Board's 3 May 2005
teleconference ,see http://www.icann.org/minutes/resolutions-03may05.htm.

In connection with the Strategic Plan action item, the original matter as
introduced by Paul Twomey called for the Board to formally adopted Version
7.3 of the Strategic Plan. Myself and others expressed concern about
adoption of version 7.3 of the Strategic Plan without this document being
publicly posted for the community to review prior to formal approval by the
board. As the document indicates, the motion was modified and seconded.

The reason why I voted "no" against this particular resolution was my notes
and recollection indicate that the modified motion/resolution called for the
posting of the revised Strategic Plan with the intent of adopting it based
upon public feedback. The resolution as currently written states that the
Board would "consider voting" on the Strategic Plan. I am awaiting the draft
minutes of the meeting to clarify this potential misunderstanding, as well
as speaking with the other director that voted against the resolution.

To be clear, my objection was NOT against the public posting of the
Strategic Plan as contained in the revised resolution, but my understanding
of the language regarding the intent of adopting.

Understanding the deep concern that many constituents within the GNSO have
regarding the Strategic Plan, I just wanted to provide a clarification of my
vote on this important matter.

I have also been advised by the Secretary, that because of scheduling
conflicts the anticipated Board teleconference scheduled for next week has
been tentatively pushed back till the following week. As soon as the exact
date is available I will inform the council as well as when the draft agenda
is available, both in accordance with the bylaw provisions.

I hope that the Council has found this information useful.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage