[council] [Fwd: Re: [alac] Draft Terms of Reference for Whois Task Force]

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon May 30 10:24:11 UTC 2005

Hello Bret,

Thanks for passing on the comment from John Levine.
Note that task 3 includes the requirement:
"Determine how to access data that is not available for public
access."

> This concern from ALAC member John Levine seems like a fair
> subject for inclusion in the terms of reference.
> Specifically, could we have a discussion about what
> constitutes abusive v. legitimate access to a registrar's
> whois data? and avenues for users claiming to be legitimate
> users to follow when they want/need whois access?

The starting point is to first determine the purpose for which the data
is collected, the purpose of the public display of this data via WHOIS,
and determine what is available for public access.   Abuse in simple
terms would be using the data for purposes other than which it was
collected.

Registrars implement various mechanisms to meet their obligations to
ensure they take reasonable precautions to protect Personal Data from
loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, or
destruction.   The mechanisms should not stop a user accessing the
public data for the purpose for which it was collected and displayed.

Regards,
Bruce