[council] Strategic Plan Point

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Oct 13 14:06:10 UTC 2005

Hi,

We got into detail on 2 out of 3 of the points I was concerend with,
ie. internationalization and adequate representation of all the
stakeholders in the decision making bodies of ICANN.  A third point I
mentioned is that ICANN needs to review and perhaps strengthen its
notions of corporate/organizational governance.  I wanted to make
sure this did not get lost in the other discussions we had.

By this I mean that we need to discuss whether there is a need for a
formal external audit process, that regularly reviews not only the
financial aspects of ICANN but reviews ICANN's adherence to its own
principles.  We have some of this, but it seems to me at this point
to be fairly ad hoc and that there is no obligation on when this is
done or how reports must be treated.

I also think the strategic review needs to look at the appeals
mechanisms available to those who believe their rights or concerns
vis a vis ICANN,  and its process, have been damaged.  I.e. is the
internal ombudsman process adequate or should a mechanism/process for
external binding appeal be discussed and perhaps created.  I don't
want to get into a discussion of those mechanisms at the moment
(though I have my opinions), but think the topic should be a line
item in the strategic discussions.

thanks
a.