[council] GNSO Review TOR + Background Information

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Sep 2 12:08:11 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I note the four focus areas in the TOR are currently:

- Representativeness

- Authority

- Effectiveness

- Transparency

I don't believe that "authority" is the right term for one of the four
areas.

Much of the material presently listed under the area of Authority could
be included under the area "effectiveness".

Perhaps "Compliance" could be considered instead as one of the four
areas for review.

Compliance would deal with issues of whether the Council and
constituencies are following the bylaws, and also whether they are
following their own rules and procedures.

Note however that an ICANN body may be complying with its rules and
procedures, and still not be "effective".   Thus I like the distinction
between conforming to rules and procedures, and whether these rules and
procedures are helping produce good outcomes.   The review may well
recommend changes to bylaws, rules and procedures if necessary.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin
(speaking as an individual member of Council)