[council] RSS Feed on ICANN Website

GNSO.SECRETARIAT@GNSO.ICANN.ORG gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
Wed Sep 14 15:55:56 UTC 2005

[To: liaison6c[at]gnso.icann.org; council[at]gnso.icann.org]
[To: ga[at]gnso.icann.org; announce[at]gnso.icann.org]
[To: gnso-dow123[at]gnso.icann.org]

FYI from ICANN Technical Staff.

Some of you may have seen this already, but we now have an RSS feed on
the main ICANN web page.

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication and is meant to push out
information to the subscriber.  In order to subscribe, you must have an
application known as an RSS Reader (or News Aggregator).  Then you just
type in the url of the feed:.  Everytime something is updated in the New
  and Noteworthy section of the ICANN website (the middle portion of the
main page), your news reader will see the change and notify you.  You
can then read the blurb within the reader or click the link provided
within the reader and be directed to the actual article.

The URL for our ICANN feed is: feed://www.icann.org/rss/news.rss .  By
clicking on the orange RSS icon, you will also see this feed: url.

Many applications have RSS readers built in.  Some browsers like Apple's
Safari and some mail applications like Thunderbird have integrated
RSS-handling features.

There is also quite a variety of third party RSS readers.  I hesitate to
recommend any one application, but a pretty comprehensive list can be
found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_news_aggregators as well
as web-based RSS readers such as www.bloglines.com

For those of you who manage announcement lists, this would be a good
item to add to your newsletter.

Kudos to our webmaster, Yan Sun, for getting this up and running!

In related news; using RSS technology, Yan has been working with Glen de
Saint Gery (and I've missed some accents there somewhere, sorry Glen!)
on getting Podcasting of GNSO teleconferences.  Podcasting is very
similar to the RSS feeds but will push mp3 audio files to your computer
if you have the right software (Apple's iTunes for example, I don't have
a good list of alternate applications for podcasting).

The GNSO podcasts can be found at: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/ and
you'll find two seperate podcast RSS links there.  Simply click on the
RSS icon and copy the feed: URL into a podcast compatible application to
subscribe.  It will download the mp3 automatically to your computer next
time there's an audio update.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat - ICANN
gnso.secretariat[at]gnso.icann.org