[council] GAC /ICANN Board cooperation

Sophia B sophiabekele at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 05:04:45 UTC 2006

Dear Bruce,

Thanks for sharing the communique.

While it is good news that GAC has identified the priority areas as GNSO
would see, it, I am quite confused as to the role 'GNSO' would have in its
policy advise capacity.  On this note I agree on the points raised by Avri
and *kindly request for clarification* on two of the following items:

1-Where is GNSO's role at the GAC level.
2-Concurrently, looking at the slides of Tina Dam PAC presentation to
BOARD/Public forum regarding IDNs, it suggests the formation of the working
group, and the three ccNSOs to join GNSO PDP.

I would *highly suggest* that GNSO has a larger involvement than proposed by
the statement below, recognizing that public policy principles are also a
mandate we need to be concerned with.

> "Beyond this it was agreed that the working group should as a longer term
> issue focus on the role of the GAC vis-à-vis ICANN and the ICANN Board and
> it should lead to the creation of a better environment that facilitates the
> development and application of *public policy principles."*

Kind regards,
Sophia