[council] Other criteria for consideration as part of the election for ICANN Board seat 14

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Apr 5 02:07:34 UTC 2006

Hello All,

In addition to the generic criteria in the ICANN bylaws, here are some
additional specific criteria that I personally think is relevant for the
GNSO to consider.  I would be interested in the thoughts from Council
members on this list.

Here are my thoughts on additional criteria:

- experience at corporate governance (ie Board experience)

- willingness to coordinate closely with the GNSO Council and GNSO
constituencies
(e.g advise Council of upcoming agenda items, seek views etc.  I
recognise that a Board director must act in the best interests of ICANN
as a whole, but I expect that a Board member elected by the GNSO would
take advantage of the knowledge and contacts within the GNSO to be well
informed on matters before making a decision)

- basic knowledge of domain name industry
E.g registries, registrars, resellers (ISPs, telcos, web hosting),
registrants (individual, domainer, SME, corporate)

- basic commercial acumen
(ie can understand the commercial implications of decisions such as the
recent change to the .com agreement)

- good communicator/listener
(willing to listen to a wide range of views within the GNSO, and have
the ability to communicate concerns about a particular issue)

- minimal potential conflicts of interest
(any potential conflicts of interest should be clearly understood - e.g
a few well known sources of funding from members of the ICANN community
- such as a single employer, or a consultant for a few publicly
announced organisations within the ICANN community)

Note that I don't expect that a candidate would meet all these criteria
- but I hope that the criteria above may stimulate some thinking about
good candidates.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin
Registrars rep on GNSO Council