[council] Compromise wording on WHOIS

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Apr 7 19:30:26 UTC 2006

> In preparation for the discussion and possible vote on WHOIS purpose please find attached a
> proposed compromise definition.

Philip -

Some further thoughts...

It is worth pointing out that under this proposal, a registrar could not
use the data collected to;

a) inquire of a registrant regarding the accuracy of their whois data
(not a technical, legal or networking matter)
b) send out renewal messaging (same)
c) comply with the whois data reminder policy (same)
d) comply with pending escrow requirements (information can only be used
to contact the name holder or representative, it does not specify that
part of the purpose of collecting the data is to share the data with a
third party for technical reasons)

...etc.

It would also prevent the implementation of Whois privacy services (the
processing of the data must be sufficient to identify who the registered
name holder is)

Not only does this proposal attempt to answer a question that we're not
asking, it does so in a very inadequate way.

--

                        -rr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:
Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation