[council] Compromise wording on WHOIS

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Mon Apr 10 12:25:34 UTC 2006

Ross, Council members

The question
----------------
I make no apology for changing the question.
The TF failed to come up with an answer to the question posed, so this does suggest it might
have been the wrong one in the first place.
Evidence for this assertion is all around us. If one reads the argumentation in the TF
report from those in favour of formulation 1 or 2, it is clear many favour one option or the
other based on issues of data use.
It is the question of use that divides us.  We cannot escape addressing this issue.

The objective
------------------
If Council accepts that use by law enforcement or other parties pursuing objectives of
user/consumer protection is an objective we endorse, then we MUST agree to define the
"purpose for which data is collected". Without that such use contravenes most data
protection laws. This is the issue.

The blind alley
Defining WHOIS purpose based on its historic technical context may be a statement of fact
but it does nothing to enlighten the WHOIS issues that have been aired over the last 5
years.
That is our task. Not restating the past.
Formulation 1 is an historic truth, conveniently devoid of today's issue.
Formulation 2 was attempting to recognise today's issue but used fuzzy language.
My compromise seeks to focus the language more specifically on the issue.

Philip