[council] Regarding data collected and the purpose of collecting data

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Apr 11 09:59:46 UTC 2006

>> I agree. It is not my logic. I am NOT making the assertion in (2).
>> You assume that because a Registrar agreement TODAY requires
>> public access, that is the status quo upon which we are
>> defining the purpose of WHOIS.
>> In other words you are defining purpose only in the context
>> of the current means of access.

Philip - further to Bruce's comments, your statement confuses "means of
access" with "terms of contract". The contract actually specifies the
scope of data that must be made accessible (referenced earlier, the
means of access (i.e. the Whois protocol) and the parties to which this
data must be disclosed (everyone).

This forms most of the foundation of the TF terms of reference;

1. Figure out if the current data being published is appropriate
(whether it should be broadened or narrowed)
2. Figure out if all of this data should be made public.
3. Specify how data that is not being made public can be accessed.

(there is also accuracy-related and other work not entirely germane to
this discussion).

The terms of this contract are subject to any consensus policy adopted
by the Board of Directors.

The implication is quite obviously different than how it appears to you.
The assumptions made have nothing to do with the status quo, and
everything to do with refining the status quo to make it more useful and
more meaningful to a broader set of participants. This is what our
policy development processes are all about - change.

No one I've talked to views their support of Formulation #1 in terms of
the status quo. It is viewed as the foundation for a new status quo. A
foundation which will not, as you are quick to point out, solve all the
problems we face and suddenly align the viewpoints of big business vs.
those of the producers and non-commercial users. But certainly, one that
will be solid enough to build on.

-r