[council] Compromise wording on WHOIS

Sophia B sophiabekele at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 18:50:18 UTC 2006

Dear All,

It has been an interesting reading and debate on this subject.  Thank you
all for your views and clarifications.  I have read the Final task force
report in detail on the purposes of Whois and of Whois contacts, dated 15
March 2006.  I have also discussed with various colleagues and businesses
regarding the issue.  I have also seen the latest compromise sent out by
Phillip.

Here is my short response to the issue and my views:

 1- I will have to agree we are tryng to address an original question in
WHOIS that is not stated clearly i.e 'what is the purpose' of WHOIS'; where
the original intent of WHOIS( purely technical) and its current practice/use
has come a long way, that which has raised the 'legitimacy issue', that  we
have at our table.

2- Both Formulations are similar, in that they stand for privacy issues from
different angles.  The major gap between the two as I see it is on the
question of 'use'.  However, given ICANN's scope and mandate, this 'use'
seem to be out of scope, unless ICANN's 'mission' is expanded to that of
policing the Internet.  As such, F2 appear to shade down among other things,
the freedom of speech issue.  Additionally, aside from scope of ICANN,
the current revision of the F2 have not taken into account the scope within
the TOR of the TF work.  It deals with the 'collection of data vs. the '
purpose of data'.

3 - As I see it, most of the questions and concerns raised by F2 i.e, spam,
phishing, legal, privacy etc.. has been addressed adequately by F1.  It is
available for access to resolve all other technical, networking, legal or
social issues or concerns consistent with law and due process.
However, without any implication, I think F2 fails to recognize that its
proposal as such would circumvent due process in the data collection
process.

4 - I have to also agree that F2 completely ignores the controls that need
to be in place by each registry/registrar to strengthen their compliance in
their contractual requirements.  F2 in this case contradicts itself.

5 - I was hoping the revised 'compromise' proposal would revisit some of the
privacy issues that myself/global Internet community is concerned about, by
explicitly stating that certain detail data, i.e address, phone no etc..
information was to be omitted.  This was the basis of my support for F2
during our Council meeting in Wellington.

>  Terms of reference no. 3 is quite clear:
> >

> > "Determine what data collected should be available for public access in
> > > the context of the purpose of WHOIS. Determine how to access data that
> > > is not available for public access."

6- In this case, I find that F1 appears to be in line with ICANN's mission
scope and mission and  F1 strikes a healthy balance between 'use' of data
between the public at large and various interest groups.

On the above grounds, I cannot support F2 to date.
Thank you and regards,
Sophia