[council] Re: [domains-gen] Vint Cerf/ICANN confirm my interpretation of .biz/info/org proposed contracts -- tiered/differential domain pricing would not be forbidden

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Wed Aug 23 15:33:49 UTC 2006

George - I  understand what you've laid out, but your analysis ignores
the fact that the contract is for the provisioning of initial
registration and renewal of those registration of domain names, not
specific domain names. I don't see how one could possible interpret the
definition of these services to include tiered pricing for the services
based on new criteria that don't fix the existing definition of the
current registry services.

In other words, the registries have a contract to provide registration
services for all names in the namespace at the prices included in the
agreement.

They do not have a contract for the provision of some of these services
at one price, and the provision of the same service to other people at a
different price. i.e. there is no registry service that provides for the
sale of specific domain names, there is only a registry service that
provides for the sale of new registrations and renewed registrations in
the entire namespace. There is a huge difference between the sale of a
domain name, and registration in a namespace.

I can't believe that Vint has lost track of this distinction. And if he
has, if ICANN has, we are all in much worse shape than we thought.

Regards,