[council] Re: [domains-gen] Vint Cerf/ICANN confirm my interpretation of .biz/info/org proposed contracts -- tiered/differential domain pricing would not be forbidden

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Wed Aug 23 17:16:52 UTC 2006

 > I disagree (as do others). Why is the creation of a table of values
 > suddenly a "new registry service"? A menu at a restaurant, $10 for cod,
 > $12 for tuna would be a simple counter example. Maybe at one time, cod
 > and tuna were both $8. Same service was provided for patrons who bought
 > cod or tuna. But, restaurant later changes the menu, continuing to
 > provide identical service, but different fees/prices. The price does
 > not have to increase equally.

Because, simply, the menu currently says, "all-you-can-eat-fish - $6 per
portion". The menu you describe deals with specific varieties of fish
differently, which is not what the contracts currently seem to say.

-ross

eorge Kirikos wrote:
> [...]
> If they wanted to match VeriSign, why not simply use the unapproved
> .com as a baseline (waiting to see if the DoC approves it), and then
> add an appendix listing any changes each registry wanted -- - that
> makes things very clear, as all the common elements are in one place.
>
> Of course, the simplest solution is to tell the registries to take a
> hike -- don't call us, we'll call you. Their agreements specify the
> renewal procedures, or re-bids, etc. and shouldn't be wasting our time
> at the present when they have years to run in some cases. If a baseball
> player wanted to renegotiate his contract in year 2 of a 6 year deal,
> what would George Steinbrenner do? And you can bet he would negotiate
> harder than ICANN has (this is entirely a one-sided negotiation, with
> registries gaining something, and the broader community losing
> something).
>
> I propose a conference call. Get everyone on the phone, 3 registry
> reps, and any other interested parties. Get it hashed out, whether they
> would each add 1 paragraph (or even a sentence) on page 80 of the
> appendix (or the equivalent place for .org/info)  to their contracts,
> explicity forbidding domain-by-domain tiered pricing. The ones that
> don't want to do this aren't doing it randomly! (they're profit
> maximizing, and want to sneak an advantage through unnoticed, which
> they'll exploit later)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George
> 416-588-0269
>

>> George Kirikos wrote:
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> [I can't post to the Registrars or Council lists, so someone would
>> have
>>> to forward it]

>> not
>> interpret
>> the

>> the
>>> They are still providing registration services for all names. They
>> are
>>> still providing it for prices that are "in the agreement".
>>>
>>> The contracts specifically state an initial fee, one that is
>> identical
>>> for all domains. However, registries are free to amend the pricing
>>> schedule in any way they see fit, as long as it is not in a manner
>>> forbidden by the contract.

>> people
>> for
>> that
>> registrations
>> of
>>> A price schedule is perfectly consistent with pages 80 and 81 of:
>>>

> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/biz/registry-agmt-app-28jul06.pdf
>>> The first sentence of page 80 is:
>>>
>>> "Initial Registration. Registrar agrees to pay the non-refundable
>>> amounts as set forth
>>> below: "
>>>
>>> and it contains a box below.
>>>
>>> Registrar announces, and gives 6 months notice, that the box has

>>> music.biz -- $60,000/yr
>>> google.biz -- $1 billion/yr
>>> kirikos.biz -- $100 billion/yr <<--- Neustar loves me :)
> [...]
>> raising
>>> prices above
>>>  that for a .com domain name and survive?  We do not."
>>>
>>> I challenge him directly on that, i.e. if what he says is true,
>> then
>>> why not agree to caps? You can follow the thread and see where that
>>> went.
>>>
>>> If the registries agree to amend the contracts, there is no issue.
>> i.e.
>>> one can clarify the language to be more explicit and not permit
>> these
>>> differing opinions (in which I appear to be in the majority view at
>>> present, although occasionally the majority is incorrect). With
>>> language that has perfect clarity, there'd be unanimity as to what
>> the
>>> contract allows and does not allow. Ask yourself, why won't the
>>> registries agree to clarify it? Is it because the contract is
>> "perfect"
>>> and can't be improved upon, or is it because they agree with my
>>> interpretation, Vint's interpretation, John Jeffrey's
>> interpretation,
>>> external counsel's interpretation, and want to reserve the right to
>> do
>>> as they please later?
>>>
>>> 3 phone calls, one to each registry operator, to see if they wish
>>> add clarity to the contract. See what they say. Would ICANN have
>> any
>>> reason to not accept that added clarity? What's their great
>>> fear....that, egads, registrants might be protected??!???
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> George Kirikos
>>> http://www.kirikos.com/

>> .info

>> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/biz/registry-agmt-28jul06.pdf
>> is
>> (Exhibit
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/biz/registry-agmt-app-28jul06.pdf
>> prices
>> are
>> formulas.

>> since

>> by
>> (i.e.
>> This

>> (i.e.
>> them,
>> agreement,

>> so

>> removed,
>> for
>> after
>> I'll

>> in

>> purposes

>> (collectively,
>> Fees

>> Name)

>> providing

>> registry

>> these
>> entire

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>>
>>                         -rr
>>

>>                  "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your

                         general manager,
                         domain direct/netidentity/nameplanet

Have you checked out the NetIdentity/Nameplanet Weblog?
http://netidentity.weblog.info