[council] Re: Regarding issues report on IDNs

Sophia B sophiabekele at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 04:38:01 UTC 2006

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply and your point well taken...specially about the
complexities of IDNs and getting to know it better.  While we are certainly
not members of the flat earth society, we do desire to keep both feet on the
ground as well.  As such, the  I do not see the DNAME dealing with greater
problems of addressing a 'solution'.

The DNAME may be ok solution from a technical point of view, as each current
TLD can have equivalent TLD domain names in ALL languages, IDNs in ALL
languages pointing to English domain names, but would present a greater
issue from a the perspective of policy, politics, control, competition
etc.

This creates BIG problems, a political one I must say, as for eg. US would
have an equivalent in Chinese, Arabic, and others managed by Neustar.  I am
not sure if the Chinese or Arabs will like that.  On the other hand - Iran
and Syria will have a Hebrew TLD  - I am note sure the Israelis would like
that.

Without being a cause for WWIII, how could we resolve the issues of 'why
should Verisign have.com in all languages?  Don't they have half the domain
names in the world already?   I suppose some people have their eye on the
end of the rainbow, rather than trained on the cobble stones looking out for
the next stray copper penny.

But, these are some of the problems I believe made DNAME unpopular, even if
it is OK technically.  As you have already said John, - all technologies
have pros and cons (and we know them already...)

Finally, should NOT the above be one of the main reasons as to why the
testbeds should be considered to be open for eveyone, as oppose to only
existing TDLs? or even a consideration for entirely dropping it and go for
policy making?

Have a nice weekend.
Sophia