[council] Re: Regarding issues report on IDNs

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Feb 5 18:33:52 UTC 2006

On 5 feb 2006, at 07.11, Cary Karp wrote:

> I think you have to take a step back and identify what questions have
> to be asked, and REALLY try to find questions that are not dependent
> of each other. Many of the words Sophia wrote about DNAME really is
> not about DNAME but from my point of view other questions.

It is certainly laudable to try and find issues that can be described
in isolation of other issues.  and I realize that in the purest of
IETF engineering circles there is often a desire to do a strict
bifurcation between the technical (the good) and political/policy
(the bad/ugly).  But on the topic of IDN, i don't see how this can be
done.  Even the questions that PAF asks are dependent on the current
thinking about the technology and if there was creative work being on
the research and engineering for IDN, we might have different
questions to answer.

Unfortunately, as interesting as the IAB draft is, it doesn't, to my
mind, do much to indicate what work will be done to try and figure
out solutions, maybe even creative solutions, that take the very real
political realities into account.  I think it is critical to realize
that the political realities, though not yet fully understood,
constitute some of the requirements for any technical solution
(another way of saying technical solutions need to take customer
requirements into account)

I may miss the Council meeting discussion on this topic because of my
flight schedule, hence this note.  While I think experimentation is
always a good thing, I think the work that needs to be done both
technically and regarding policy (dare i say the technopolitical
work) is extensive and requires a more serious attempt to bring the
threads together in discussion. And the need to widen the discussion
beyond the relatively closed door IAB circles, council circles, and
presidential blue ribbon panels.  The discussion in Vancouver was an
interesting tidbit of a start, but we need to figure out how do get
some cooperative heavy lifting done in this area.  As someone who is
on the council and a participant in the IETF and the IRTF, I am
hoping to see the initiation of some activities, some joint
activities, in the very near future.  I think the council can play an
important role in calling for such cooperative efforts.

a.