[council] Re: Regarding issues report on IDNs

Sophia B sophiabekele at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 08:00:52 UTC 2006

Great...we are making the technical difference and that they can be separate
.foo and .com and that they can be owned by two differ registrars and that
could be competing with each other.  That point made, what I am trying to
address is 2 business issues:

1- if 'mybrand' is to be protected  i.e trademark in every country...it is a
matter of purchasing all the 'mybrand' TDLs...
2-on the other hand, if mybarnd .com is to be protected 'in every language'
under gTLD, then 'com' in every language over 200 translation need to be
protected and approved by ICANN.  So the guardians of this names
i.eVerisign etc.. will be translating and registering them.  ARe they
passing
the cost to the customer? Are we going to approve over 200 maybe thousands
of translations?

What are the implications above?

--
Sophia Bekele