[council] Draft Call for papers, new gTLD PDP

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Jan 3 15:07:36 UTC 2006

Marilyn Cade wrote:
> Olof, I thought it was General Counsel advice re "within scope"? The flow
> chart says "staff manager".  This is helpful to see, and I probably will
> have some questions regarding how best to revise the timelines for this
> particular PDP, given the complexity.
>
> We also should be considering how we propose to modify the PDP timelines and
> processes so that they are flexible and allow for development of a time line
> suitable to each policy issue. Some will be shorter than others, for
> instance, and some may take multiple years, such as IDNs.

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I'm still not officially back, but
have been trying to stay in the loop :)

Regarding the time considerations related to the PDP, no effort should
take multiple years. I've been thinking about this over the holidays,
and I'd like to submit that we need to redefine, in some cases, how we
look at the PDP. The PDP is our policy development process, it is not
our issue understanding process, our information gathering process, or
our getting our technology acts together process. Each of these is
distinct and important, but we need to keep them separate from the
policy development process. We should also recognize that without proper
information, understanding of the issue and logical basis in technology,
the PDP is probably destined to fail. Therefore, we need to understand
when it is time to initiate a PDP, and when it is time to use one or
some of these other processes. We should also seek to refine these other
processes, make them more explicit and start working them into the
regular activity of the GNSO.

As a general principle, I would like to see the PDP remain as
predictable, short-term and effective as possible.

Have a great 2006 everyone.

-ross