[council] Draft Call for papers, new gTLD PDP

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 00:46:06 UTC 2006

Hmmm, well, I am not convinced.

It seems "simple" to "scale down" a policy issue, but really, some policy
issues don't lend themselves to "modularization". I think of IDNs as an
example, or the recent .com settlement agreement.

Can we really miniaturize these issues into modules, that can only be
considered in sequence? I doubt that.

The .com settlement issue raises several policy issues; they will  need to
be considered as a package. We can't break them into separate distinct
modules that have no relevance or interaction with each other. That would be
"ignorant" on our part, as councilors. I know that is a strong word, but I
use it intentionally.

Developing policy requires us to step above individual constituency or
company "votes" and think for the good of the Internet/as the gNSO affects
it. That is our challenge, our charter, and our obligation.

That is why we are elected.