[council] GNSO Council teleconf. revised draft minutes 21 December 2005

GNSO.SECRETARIAT@GNSO.ICANN.ORG gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
Mon Jan 9 17:00:43 UTC 2006

[To: council[at]gnso.icann.org]

Dear Council Members,

Please find a revised draft minutes of the GNSO Council teleconference
on 21 December 2005.

Olof Nordling has been added to the list of attendees present at the
meeting.

Please let me know if there are other changes to be made.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Glen

Proposed agenda and related documents

List of attendees:
Philip Sheppard - Commercial & Business Users C.
Marilyn Cade - Commercial & Business Users C.
Grant Forsyth - Commercial & Business Users C
Greg Ruth - ISCPC
Antonio Harris - ISCPC
Tony Holmes - ISCPC - proxy to Tony Harris/Greg Ruth (if necessary)
Thomas Keller- Registrars
Ross Rader - Registrars
Bruce Tonkin - Registrars
Ken Stubbs - gTLD registries - absent - apologies - Cary Karp
June Seo - gTLD registries
Cary Karp - gTLD registries
Lucy Nichols - Intellectual Property Interests C
Ute Decker - Intellectual Property Interests C - absent - apologies -
proxy to Lucy Nichols
Kiyoshi Tsuru - Intellectual Property Interests C. - proxy to Lucy
Nichols (if necessary)
Robin Gross - NCUC.
Norbert Klein - NCUC.- absent - apologies - proxy to Mawaki Chango
Mawaki Chango - NCUC
Sophia Bekele - Nominating Committee appointee
Maureen Cubberley - Nominating Committee appointee - absent - apologies
- proxy to Ross Rader
Avri Doria - Nominating Committee appointee

17 Council Members

ICANN Staff
Olof Nordling - Manager, Policy Development Coordination
Maria Farrell - ICANN GNSO Policy Support Officer
Liz Williams - Senior Policy Counselor
Tina Dam - Chief gTLD Registry Liaison
Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat

GNSO Council Liaisons
Suzanne Sene - GAC Liaison
Bret Fausett - ALAC Liaison

Michael Palage - ICANN Board member
Quorum present at 19 : 07 UTC.

MP3 recording

Bruce Tonkin and Philip Sheppard chaired this teleconference.

Approval of agenda

Bruce Tonkin welcomed the new councillors, Sophia Bekele Nominating
Committee Appointee, Mawaki Chango - NCUC representative and June Seo -
gTLD registries representative.

Bruce Tonkin handed the chair to Philip Sheppard.

Item 2: Election of GNSO Council chair for period 4 Jan 06 to 3 Dec 2006
- nominations close on Friday 16 Dec 2005
- election to be held during the meeting

Philip Sheppard stated that Bruce Tonkin, the only nominee at close of
nominations on Friday 16 December 2005, accepted his nomination by Lucy
Nichols, seconded Ken Stubbs, to be the GNSO Council chair for the
period 4 January 2006 to 3 December 2006.

Philip Sheppard proposed a roll call vote of affirmation to elect Bruce
Tonkin as GNSO Council chair for the period 4 January 2006 to 3 December
2006.

The motion carried. Unanimous vote of acclamation

25 votes in favour, one abstention Bruce Tonkin (2 votes) Ross Rader's
vote and proxy held for Maureen Cubberley were votes recorded on line
due to telephonic connectivity issues.

Decision 1: Bruce Tonkin elected as GNSO Council chair for the period 4
January 2006 to 3 December 2006.

Philip Sheppard handed the chair back to Bruce Tonkin.

Item 3: Next steps on new TLD policy development process
- public comment period opened on 6 December 2005

Bruce Tonkin stated that each constituency needed to identify a person
to collect input to the policy development process on new gTLDs and
notify the GNSO Secretariat accordingly.
In addition Council members should reflect on proactive means of
obtaining input from members of the communities not directly involved in
the GNSO and input from the Council.
It was important to gather input on the terms of reference to open
questions and then seek the commonalities.

Marilyn Cade referred to her proposal on the Council mailing list
setting out a process, previously used in task forces and public
meetings, where a request was posted for interested individuals,
organizations, (could be a constituency) to submit an outline, sign up
for a specific time to address their responses to a particular set of
questions, take clarifying questions, and have the material transcribed
and posted on the website. This allowed for input from people with
expertise in particular areas in contrast to the input from the public
comment process. The proposal further suggested 2 such events before the
end of January 2006 and an extension of the current public comment
period to the end of January 2006.

<Finally, I offer the following proposal for fellow Councilors to
consider regarding the gTLDS policy process: The Council should invite
all constituencies to prepare their statements for contribution, BUT in
ADDITION, and in parallel, other mechanism should be used to inform the
policy development process. I describe a recommendation below that I've
previously mentioned in less detail.

1) Given that we are losing about two weeks due to holiday, I propose
that Council formally announce an extension in the initial comment
process to extend it to the end of January. This would give more time to the
Constituency statements, and also allow the following process to take
place for more input into the policy development process.
2) I propose that Council direct the staff director, Olof Nordling, to
manage a process on behalf of Council that would be structured
consultation and input into the process. All of our constituencies and
the broader community could undoubtedly benefit from the opportunity to
hear from experts, rather than just gather opinions or make statements.

Thus, I would suggest that the following guidelines be followed [or some
modified version developed]

3) The Council should host two phone conferences with the following
structure/format.

a) Organizations, individuals, and interested parties should be invited
to make presentations related to the questions that are contained in the
ToR, and provide any other statements that they consider relevant.
20 minute slots would be reserved for anyone who submits a "white
paper/PowerPoint" to the Staff Director.
NOTE: This would NOT be a place for the Constituency Statements, since
those will come into the process anyway, but offers a way to get unique
contributions. For instance, outreach to the SSAC, to OECD, etc. might
be useful to suggest that they may want to make a "presentation".
b) the calls should be transcribed via a conference call transcription
service and the transcripts would be posted
c) all white papers or PowerPoint presentations would be made available
and posted
d) Do others think that there should also be 3 - 4 three minute slots at
the end of each of the conference calls for "open mike" statements from
those who don't bother to submit a white paper/PowerPoint?

I would suggest that the presentations be limited to 15 minutes and a 5
minute clarification q and a be allowed.

Given the time between here and Wellington, I would suggest that two
calls be held, broken into two segments of 2 hours each.

It is important to remember the constituencies and the ALAC will have
their own consultation process to undertake as well, and thus, if we can
do these calls in the early part of January, that would be most helpful.

Again, I am proposing that we also recognize that the PDP time frames do
not work, especially taking into account the holiday period and we
formally extend the time frame now for the preparation of the initial
submission of information to the Staff Manager.

I also think that Council needs to be very realistic about the need to
take extensive input; we may find that we need to have more than one
round of input and discussion of the inputs to the questions, for instance.

Finally, we need to discuss how best to establish a mechanism to have
consultation with the other SOs, and with the GAC and SSAC. As I recall,
that is part of our responsibility. We may want to schedule discussion
sessions of 1-2 hours in Wellington, for instance. >

There was general agreement among the Councillors for a call for papers
with clearly formulated expectations, moderated conference calls with a
web based forum, allowing people to identify, if they wished, to address
their responses, an acknowledgement that all requests for presentation
may not be possible to accommodate, but that all material would be
posted on the website for the public, read by the Councillors and
summarised by the staff who would produce a Staff Manager's report. The
Council as whole would undertake the work and would benefit from all the
input during the proposed face to face March meeting in Wellington.

Ross Rader proposed that agreement on details should be referred to the
planning committee.

Proposed time line:
- extension for public comments on the Terms of Reference for new gTLDs
- constituency statements due and conference call
1st week February
- conference call

The Initial report should be considered as an evolving draft until
Wellington.

Suzanne Sene remarked that it would be difficult to produce a document
by a government organization even by the end of January 2006.

Bruce Tonkin, seconded by Philip Sheppard proposed a procedural motion:
Council agrees to extend the time for public comments on the Terms of
Reference for new gTLDs until 31 January 2006 in order to receive
substantive papers addressing the terms of reference on the policy
development process.
Council will also formally issue a "Call for Papers" and the potential
presentation of the papers as soon as a text for that call for papers
has been developed in the days following.

The motion carried unanimously by voice vote.

Decision 2:
Council agrees to extend the time for public comments on the Terms of
Reference for new gTLDs until 31 January 2006 in order to receive
substantive papers addressing the terms of reference on the policy
development process.
Council will also formally issue a "Call for Papers" and the potential
presentation of the papers as soon as a text for that call for papers
has been developed in the days following.

Bruce Tonkin noted that each constituency should be thinking about what
process the constituency should use to inform the constituency
statements such as, teleconferences and different ways within the
constituencies to get broad coverage. The constituencies were encouraged
to try methods that they have not used in the past to make sure the
statements were as broad and representative of all views as possible and
focused on substantive and reasoned comments on the issue areas in the
Terms of Reference on new gTLDs.

.Bruce Tonkin, seconded by Philip Sheppard proposed a procedural motion:
The due date for constituency statements be extended until 31 January 2006.

The motion carried unanimously by voice vote.

Decision 3: The due date for constituency statements be extended until
31 January 2006.

Action Item: Each constituency needs to identify a person to collect
input to the policy development process on new gTLDs and notify the GNSO
Secretariat accordingly.

Item 4: Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) issues report

Olof Nordling stated that Maria Farrell was the person identified to
focus on developing the IDN Issues Report.

Tina Dam reported that the version 2.0 of the IDN Guidelines approved in
November 2005, were discussed in Vancouver and the working group would
reconvene to consider the Vancouver input and whether there should be
further revisions to the IDN Guidelines. In parallel, the Best Current
Practice track for the IDN Guidelines would move forward and there would
be opportunity for public input. The working group and the President's
Advisory Committee would provide feedback and updates to the ICANN Board.
The community had made enquiries about the functionality of the IANA
registry. Based on the previous IDN committee consultations, a briefing
paper had been developed for the President's Advisory Committee where
positive changes had been recommended.
Initial discussions have taken place amongst technical experts regarding
IDNs at the top level and the relation to the Issues Report requested by
the GNSO council in Vancouver. The plan is to move forward the
experiment on IDNs at the top level, but a framework is needed around
how it would happen and what issues should be solved.
The experiment could possibly show whether d name or a records in the
root, or neither would be a good technical solution. The evaluation of
the report was as important as the initial framework and the result
would feed back into the ccNSO, GNSO and the GAC policy processes. There
was no current timeline for the Issues Report as it was to some extent
dependent on the experiment. In the mean time, while waiting for the
technical results, Tina suggested identifying initial issues and start
work on process.

Cary Karp commented that currently, before the policy development
process started the suitability of candidate technologies for that
purpose were being tested and referred to the recent Internet
Architectural Board (IAB) report "Review and Recommendations for
Internationalized Domain Names".

Bruce Tonkin, supported by most of the councillors, proposed that staff
should be encouraged to start identifying and documenting policy
questions and issues related to IDNs.

Bruce Tonkin proposed further discussion on IDNs as an agenda item on
the next council call, 17 January 2006, and suggested inviting the
authors, John Klensin and Patrick Falstrom, of the "Review and
Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names" to participate in
the discussion.

Item 5: Update on initial planning for Wellington meeting

The Secretariat read out the email from Diane Schroeder with the broad
outline of the meeting schedule for Wellington New Zealand.

31 March, Friday Board Meeting
30 March, Thursday Public Forum (am)
29 March, Wednesday GNSO & CCNSO Council meetings & Public Forum (pm)
28 March, Tuesday Workshops, GAC, GNSO Public Forum - potential
Board/GNSO Council dinner
27 March, Monday Constituency Day, CCNSO & GAC
26 March, Sunday GAC, GNSO Council Prep
25 March, Saturday GAC, GNSO Council Prep

Item 6 Any other business

a. Follow up on .com settlement GNSO resolution

Bruce Tonkin commented that as GNSO Council chair he would formally send
the resolution of 2 December 2005 to Dr. Vint Cerf, ICANN Board chair.

Bruce Tonkin declared the GNSO meeting closed and thanked everybody for
participating.

The meeting ended: 20:40 UTC.

Next GNSO Council teleconference 17 January 2006 at 19:00 UTC
see: Calendar

--
Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat - ICANN