[council] Conflicts of Interest

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Jan 20 14:56:50 UTC 2006

Bruce Tonkin wrote:

> I see this being a voluntary initiative as there doesn't seem to be any
> explicit bylaw requirements.

Bruce -

I think this is an excellent proposal. As you know, the registrar
constituency has had similar practices embodied in its bylaws for a
number of years.

However, simply because the bylaws is silent on a specific set of
behaviors, doesn't mean that we can't officially adopt these behaviors
through other means.

I also believe that it is time for the Council of the GNSO to adopt some
explicit conflict of interest management processes - but I believe they
should be mandatory. At first, we should proceed cautiously with these.
A light-weight approach would seem to be most prudent. Over time, we
could improve and expand upon the approach in ways that make it more
useful for our purposes.

My preference would not be to create a "design committee" to come up
with a comprehensive proposal at this time. As a first step, I think
your proposal makes eminent sense, and I would like to discuss whether
or not the rest of the council would be willing to undertake a vote to
make these requirements mandatory. Is this something that we could add
to the agenda of our next meeting?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

-ross