[council] Conflicts of Interest

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Mon Jan 23 19:54:40 UTC 2006

I think Ross' statement is mostly right. In the GNSO, we should be
focused on transparency, not conflicts. "Self-regulation" places
interested organizations directly in the path of GNSO policy
recommendations. This was a matter of design. Given the current
structure of the GNSO Council, I fully expect the constituency-elected
representatives of the GNSO to vote according to the self-interests of
the organizations that elected them (and liaisons such as myself will
provide input based on the same set of self-interests). Only the
Nominating Committee-appointed members are here to represent the wider
public interest. I also expect that each constituency will have a
mechanism for determining whether its elected representatives have some
private interest that might be in conflict with the constituency's
interests. Even for the Nominating Committee elected representatives, I
believe there are vetting procedures in place to make sure that no
private interests would sway their votes. I am happy for us to have a
formal policy, but I suspect that much of the vetting of conflicts is
already done at the constituency and NomComm-level.

           Bret