[council] Regarding public comment processes

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 15:08:12 UTC 2006

Dear Bruce, all:

--- Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au> wrote:

> Hello All,

> So - I believe that as a principle when we are having a physical
> meeting
> we should at least allow the opportunity for members of the public
> speak on an issue, but these comments should be assessed on an
> equal
> basis with formal written material.

I am confortable with this approach. So that you get the full picture
of my concern, the question was also that:

i) if we are to make progress on the issues to be discussed (which
means we will be making decisions), I was concerned that we may get
into negotiations of some kind with live participants, and the live
inputs may lock some options/decisions at the expenses of some other.
Which, from what you're saying, shouldn't be the case.

ii) Second, and maybe most importantly, is it okay to decide upon a
public consultation meeting between two conference calls, or is this
a policy, or if you will, a "rules and regulations" kind of
requirement we need to advise and advertise well in advance for all
to be aware of?

I rest my case,

Mawaki

We will also have any papers