[council] Proposed WHOIS motion for 20 July 2006

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Tue Jul 18 03:10:35 UTC 2006

Hello All,

I am wondering whether we should actually pull out clause 3 from the
motion below and treat it separately.  Clause 3 is actually much broader
in scope than WHOIS, as it is about the purposes for which registrars
collect and retain data.  The WHOIS service is only one of several
purposes for which data is collected and retained, and there are
different services available for accessing data related to domain names
depending on the intended recipients of that data.  For example many
registrars provide interfaces for registrants and resellers to access
data that are separate from the WHOIS service.

I have been contacted by some registrars, that including this as part of
a "WHOIS motion", may be confusing as some of the data referred to in
the motion below is not related to WHOIS, and some of the data is
related to the current WHOIS service.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin