[council] Proposed simplified WHOIS motion for 20 July 2006

Thomas Keller tom at schlund.de
Tue Jul 18 07:42:10 UTC 2006

I would like to see the first paragraph removed too. If we start going
down this path we will have to justify every single decision we made
and its meaning to each of us over and over again. Thats not the way
policy making works.

Best,

tom

Am 17.07.2006 schrieb Mawaki Chango:
> It looks like we are getting there. There is also the para 1
> that would better be removed, for reasons I've already
> expressed.
>
> Mawaki
>
> --- Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Further to my previous motion, here is a simplified motion
> > that is
> > constrained to matters concerning the WHOIS service.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bruce Tonkin
> >

> > Proposed Simplified Motion on WHOIS
> >
> > The GNSO Council notes that the current WHOIS definition is
> > related to
> > the service that provides public access to some or all of the
> > data
> > collected, and is not a definition of the purpose of the data
> > itself.

> > the
> > definition of the purpose of WHOIS, the GNSO Council agrees to
> > undertake
> > the following steps:
> >
> > (1)  Each Council member that voted in favour of the
> > definition will
> > provide a brief explanation of the reason for supporting the
> > resolution
> > and their understanding of its meaning.
> >
> > (2) The ICANN staff will provide a summary of the other
> > interpretations
> > of the definition that have been expressed during the public
> > comment
> > period, and subsequently in correspondence from the public and
> > Governments.
> >
> > (3) The GNSO Council requests that the WHOIS task force
> > continue with
> > their work as specified in the terms of reference taking into
> > account
> > the recent input that has been provided.
> >
> > (4)  The GNSO Council will take the final report from the
> > WHOIS task
> > force that addresses all terms of reference, and consider
> > improving the
> > wording of the WHOIS service definition so that it is broadly
> > understandable.

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\	A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w