[council] Proposed simplified WHOIS motion for 20 July 2006

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Wed Jul 19 17:17:18 UTC 2006

I'm not sure that Bruce's interpretation, or Council's interpretation
really has much bearing on the policy issues. The question is whether or
not specific uses of whois will be permitted by the relevant policy.
Under current policy, a number of uses are permitted, and others (such
as marketing) are not. I don't believe that we can adequately answer
this question with any degree of certainty until such time that we have
draft policy on the books to test these various use cases against.

I think we need to refocus slightly on the development of this policy
and away from this statement of purpose. If it turns out that the
statement of purpose does not adequately support the new policy required
by the community, we can easily revisit and refine the purpose. From my
distant view over the last month, the attempt to understand the
implications of the purpose of whois net of any substantive policy
recommendations does not seem to have been a productive exercise. I may
be wrong with this assessment, but I'm hard-pressed to find any serious
progress on this particular point going as far back as Wellington -
which might be indicative that we might possibly be trying to answer the
wrong questions.

Regards,

--

                        -ross rader
                         general manager,

Have you checked out the NetIdentity/Nameplanet Weblog?
http://netidentity.weblog.info