[council] Dialogue versus Progress

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Jul 20 02:58:52 UTC 2006

Hello All,

Speaking personally I think we need to get the right balance between
Dialogue and Progress.

The way to achieve this in my personal view, is to actually work on
collecting well researched information, and creating concrete policy
proposals.  Then dialogue is useful to explain the benefits of a
particular proposal, and also identify anything that has been missed in
a particular proposal.

The reaction to the WHOIS definition, has shown that we were probably
premature in engaging in a dialogue until we had a concrete proposal
that addresses the full terms of reference.

Over the last few years we have had many WHOIS workshops, presentations,
and discussions, but very little progress.   I think that few members of
the WHOIS task force or even the Council really need more presentations
on how WHOIS is vitally important, and how it is currently being used.
Our shared objective is still to improve the effectiveness of the WHOIS
service, whilst taking into account where appropriate the need to ensure
privacy protection for the Personal Data of natural persons.

Our next steps should be to have a dialogue about our progress :-)

That requires the development of quality information and policy
proposals that we can use to discuss.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin
Council member