[council] RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Statements of Interest

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 9 04:01:37 UTC 2006

Ross,

I am happy to do so.

Marilyn

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-council at gnso.icann.org [mailto:owner-council at gnso.icann.org] On
Behalf Of Ross Rader
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:38 PM
To: Marilyn Cade
Cc: 'Bruce Tonkin'; council at gnso.icann.org
Subject: Re: [council] RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Statements of Interest

Marilyn -

While I appreciate your effort to help move council operating policy
move forward by trying to catalyse the development of a standardized
interest management process that the GNSO can use at a variety of
levels, I feel that reaching out ICANN's General Counsel in this way is
premature and inappropriate.

The affairs and processes of the GNSO that are not covered by ICANN's
bylaws are solely an internal concern of the GNSO. It is not the
responsibility of the office of the General Counsel to specify our
operating policies.

I believe a more constructive approach would be to raise this issue at
our next council meeting, accompanied by a process or policy proposal
that we could consider, or failing that, identifying this is a pressing
issue that requires our immediate attention.

Would it be possible for you to withdraw your request and help us deal
with the issues as an internal matter for the consideration of the Council?

-r

Marilyn Cade wrote:
> Dear John
>
> For some time now, it has been a good idea to bring the Council, and
> therefore its TFs, into alignment with a single ICANN approach on
statements
> of Interest and Conflicts of Interest.
>
> There has even been discussion of this at the Council level, and I know
that
> you have had some thoughts relevant to this, from our discussions when I
> asked you to clarify the ICANN policies re conflicts and "interests" when
> launched my new business, and left AT&T.
>
> I would assume that the same requirements of the Board, should be
> generalizable to the SOs, and their TFs.
>
> I hereby request that the General Counsel's office attend the next Council
> call and provide clarification of what is the ICANN policy and how it is
> complied with by the Board, and any members of the Advisory Committees,
and
> then, perhaps we can discuss how to create a mirror process for at least
> this SO. However, given that conflicts apply to all SOs and
> Advisory Committees, perhaps a unified approach makes sense.
>
> I have attempted to address the questions raised, and it seems to me that
> there is no standard approach across the SOS, and consistency with the
Board

http://gnso.icann.org/issues/gtld-policies/statements-of-interest-pdp-feb06
> -
>> apr.html
>>
>> Marilyn's statement includes the following:
>> "The clients of my business are concerned about the security and
>> stability of the Internet, and are strong advocates of ICANN's role
>> in managing and coordinating the technical aspects of the Internet.
>> I do not believe that I have conflicts of interest with ICANN. From
>> time to time, I may have clients who have a direct policy interest in
>> a particular policy area that is, o publicly could be active at ICANN. At
>> present, two clients that I advise have an interest in reserved names
>> in gTLDs. I have disclosed that to the gNSO Council, and to the
>> Business Constituency and in public statements in the ICANN's public
>> forum and to the ICANN senior staff."
>> This is not an adequate disclosure. It is clearly inconsistent with
>> the extent of disclosure made by other participants. The fact that
>> disclosure may have been made in other fora does not excuse the
>> failure to disclose the identity of these clients to this PDP.
>> We are entitled to know who is paying Marilyn to take positions on
>> the issues in this PDP. We are also entitled to know what
>> arrangements she may have for compensation contingent on the outcome
>> of this PDP, even if there is not currently a client relationship.
>> David W. Maher
>> Senior Vice President - Law & Policy
>> Public Interest Registry
>> 1775 Wiehle Ave, #102A
>> Reston, VA 20190  USA
>> (v) +1-312-876-8055
>> (f)  +1-312-876-7934
>> http://www.pir.org

Regards,

Regards,

--

                        -rr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:

Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation