[council] GNSO Council /ICANN Board dinner, Monday 26 in FES 2

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 26 20:48:09 UTC 2006

Thanks, Bret. I should have mentioned similar concerns about the Operational
Plan and the Budget. Both are filled with assumptions that have not been
vetted with the affected bodies well enough. I'm not criticizing the staff
but would ask that the vetting process be improved. Asking for people to
attend computer generated sessions at ICANN face to face meetings where
there is no accountability for the brainstorm input does not reflect a good
process for StratPlan input. I think that the staff need to actually meet
with, even by phone, the constituencies and the RIRs, etc. there has been
some high level contact but we, as constituencies, aren't probably being
insistent enough on input. There is too much reliance on the contracted
parties, with a failure to understand and reflect that without the balance
of the users participation, ICANN's legitimacy is significantly challenged.

I'm a fan of having a sufficient budget to fulfill ICANN's mission; but I
share Bret's concerns as articulated here.

Marilyn