[council] FYI - background on communication equipment problems

Denise Michel denise.michel at icann.org
Wed Jun 28 11:20:54 UTC 2006

See note from Steve Conte, General Manager IS (below) regarding
communication equipment problems.

Addendum from Steve:  I can't stress enough that this is NOT an issue
with Morocco (the destination) or the local hosts here.  They have bent
over backwards to not only adapt to my issues, but have gone above and
beyond by calling and working with the Moroccan government and customs
here to try to get my shipment in.  This is a great group.

Update:  27 June 2006 -- The equipment did not make it.  Steve is taking
steps to ensure this does not happen again.

--------------------------------------

Greetings,

I just wanted to give you a heads up on some logistical issues I'm
having for this meeting.

The shipment of my video equipment was delayed in the US for four days
and then returned to Marina del Rey the day after I left for Morocco.
I've had a colleague cavalier this for me while I was in transit and he
did a great job on getting the shipment back out.

As of last web tracking, the equipment is in Belgium, I'm presuming
awaiting a plane to Rabat to be routed here.

I'm hopeful that my equipment will arrive on Monday, at which point I'll
spend whatever time it takes to get this up and running.

In the meantime, since I was aware of the logistical issues prior to
departing for Morocco, we've taken some steps to attempt to webcast
and/or capture as much of the meeting as possible until my equipment
gets here.

I've brought a spare camera with us in a suitcase and using our breakout
laptop for ccNSO, we're able to provide a webcast stream for the main
room events.  The webcast will be limited to a non-mobile (ie, no pan or
zoom) shot of the stage including the podium.

I'll supplement this with a voice-only stream.

If my equipment isn't here for the ccNSO, I've brought a portable mp3
recorder (my own personal one) to capture the audio of the ccNSO
sessions and will post them as best I can during the meeting so as to
minimize the time-delay of them.

I'll let Chris Disspain know of my logistical issues as well.

To top it all off, my laptop has a bad case of narcolepsy and has
decided to go into sleep mode every few minutes, causing me to struggle
for every single task I need to do online (my laptop has gone to sleep
four times so far during this email alone, with an average of 5 minutes
to get it going again.).

We're working on getting this problem resolved but being a weekend, it
has also been a pretty significant challenge to face.

To be very clear, none of the above issues are the result of our local
hosts.  They have been extremely accommodating to adapting to these
challenges and all divisions of the hosts have done a fantastic job here.

I apologize for the impact this is potentially causing and I'm making
every effort to minimize this impact, but as some of you have mentioned
to me, it has already been noticed.

I take my role of supporting the board and these meetings extremely
seriously and I'm making every effort to make this meeting as successful
as possible from an operational/logistical perspective.

Sincerely,

Steve

--
Steve Conte