[council] Restrictions that apply to Council members that are nominated as candidates for ICANN Board Seat #14

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu May 11 13:59:05 UTC 2006

Hello All,

We have two nominated candidates, Marilyn Cade and Philip Sheppard, who
are current serving members of the GNSO Council.

There is a clause related to this situation, in
Article VI (Board of Directors), Section 4 (Additional qualifications),
clause 2:

"2. No person who serves in any capacity (including as a liaison) on any
Supporting Organization Council shall simultaneously serve as a Director
or liaison to the Board. If such a person accepts a nomination to be
considered for selection by the Supporting Organization Council to be a
Director, the person shall not, following such nomination, participate
in any discussion of, or vote by, the Supporting Organization Council
relating to the selection of Directors by the Council, until the Council
has selected the full complement of Directors it is responsible for
selecting. In the event that a person serving in any capacity on a
Supporting Organization Council accepts a nomination to be considered
for selection as a Director, the constituency group or other group or
entity that selected the person may select a replacement for purposes of
the Council's selection process."

Note particularly the second sentence above, as at our next conference
call we may be discussing the process going forward etc.

This would also have an impact on voting.  The relevant constituency may
wish to consider a mechanism of appointing different people to the
Council for the purpose of the election (ie I assume a Council member
may need to resign for the election period, the constituency appoint a
new member for the election period, and then re-appoint the Council
member if that member is unsuccessful in the election).

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin