[council] ICANN meeting in Marrakech

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed May 17 10:28:58 UTC 2006

Dear Bruce

A few schedule topics; I am assuming this is a draft agenda and that you are
seeking Council's support and input on the development of the Marrakech
agenda, as always.

So, in the spirit of collaborating with input from fellow Councilors on
developing the agenda, a few items to consider:

At the meeting in Brussels, I believe that those there had an informal
discussion about the need for active and full consultation with the GAC,
public forum, etc. on PDP-05, since there is expected to be a further report
from Staff published before that face to face meeting; I recall we discussed
NOT discussing PDP-05 at the week end meeting, but focus on taking public
comment and trying to debrief on the content afterward. It is feasible that
the Thursday free time/while Board is as usual "retreating", might provide a
good time to spend 2 hours as a Council discussing the feedback we have
received.

Thus, I believe that it is possibly a better task to focus on some work on
PDP-06 during the week end meeting.

As to the GNSO Review, from the BC perspective, we would prefer to have the
GNSO review a topic of discussion on at least one call BEFORE Marrakech; the
Constituencies all need to be briefed on the review BEFORE the public
meeting. Many constituency members of all constituencies do not travel to
the public meetings, and it is unfair to those who will not attend in person
to leave the Review update until so late. Thus, we ask that you add the
Review in some detail to a Council teleconference in order for all
constituencies to be considering the draft feedback before coming to
Marrakech.

I will make a further point that I would ask that the Council and
Constituencies not be blindsided by a draft report that is briefed to the
Board before it is shared with the GNSO and its Council.

Best regards,

Marilyn