[council] Proposed Resolution for Consideration

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Thu Nov 9 16:21:56 UTC 2006

Per Bruce's earlier request, here is a proposed resolution for
discussion at the next council meeting. This may not be the right
resolution, but given the interest in this topic on this list, I believe
there is support for a discussion. As a result, I didn't attempt to
"wordsmith" and "whereas" this too much, but the salient points of this
motion are that;

a) there should be term limits for councillors
b) the term shall be limited to two consecutive terms
c) special circumstances do exist where term limits are not appropriate
and these circumstances should be accomodated by our processes
d) the Council should act immediately implement this recommendation at
the Constituency and board level.

I would also note that the the Registrar constituency already abides by
these practices and that I am nearing a term limit myself, so I don't
believe that I have any special conflicts coming into play by backing a
motion of this sort.

//begin//

Proposed Resolution:

The recommendations of the LSE regarding term limits for GNSO Council
members should be adopted immediately by the GNSO Council with no
grandfathering except in connection with the ability of a council member
to serve out their existing term. A council member can serve no more
than two consecutive terms (regardless of duration). Moreover, a former
council member must remain off the GNSO Council for one full term prior
to serving any subsequent term. However, there shall be an exception to
the two term limit in connection with special circumstances (I.e.
Geographic diversity requirements) where a constituency is unable to
find an alternative representative to serve. In applying this special
circumstance exception, the existence of an otherwise qualified
candidate willing to serve on the council within that constituency shall
constitute a non-rebuttable indication that special circumstances do not
exist. The GNSO Council will forward this recommendation to the ICANN
Board of Directors for implementation in the bylaws and also recommend
to the GNSO Constituencies that they voluntarily adopt these practices
until such time that they have been formally implemented by the Council
and Board.

//end//

Regards,

Ross Rader