[council] Term limits

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Thu Nov 9 18:55:38 UTC 2006

Bret Fausett wrote:
> As a relative outsider to the constituency structure with no horse in this
> race -- I am not a member of any constituency and am stepping down from my
> own term as ALAC liaison at the end of the Sao Paulo meeting -- I have to
> agree with Philip that we need a more complete discussion on the pros and
> cons of term limits. My fear is that some people may support term limits as
> a mechanism to oust individual councilors who may be too effective in
> advocating views that differ from their own.

You make a very valid point Bret. If this discussion is going to be
useful and productive (and right-headed) it needs to be rooted in a
concern for the good governance of this SO. I don't think that any of us
will question the need for good governance, but I expect that we will
disagree on what constitutes good governance and how to achieve it. If
we can have a discussion about the issues at this level, I think we will
find a productive outcome. If the discussion is rooted in personalities
or specific situations, we will not find an appropriate outcome.

-ross