[council] Term limits

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Thu Nov 9 21:00:35 UTC 2006

I'm glad we've begun this discussion on the merits of GNSO term limits
in this situation because it seems we have an inherent tension on the
constituency level wrt term limits.

On the one hand, some constituencies want to "do the right thing" and
impose term limits on their councilors to encourage new blood, give a
variety of constituency members a voice, and avoid a situation where
only a small number of constituents are empowered.

On the other hand, there can be no doubt that the longer a person is on
the council, the more skilled and able that person is to set and steer
the agenda for the entire GNSO, and a constituency would want their
representatives to have this higher level of effectiveness on the
council.   So each constituency has to deal with this inherent tension.

But, I don't see this discussion an opportunity to get rid of people who
have been on the council for a long time, but rather, an opportunity to
"level the playing field" between constituencies - since they are
"playing by different rules".

Most of the time in policy matters, I'm against term limits - that is
what elections are for.  But when you have a situation where there are
differences between constituencies and some have limits and others do
not, it disempowers those constituencies who are trying to encourage
more diverse participation.  That strikes me as fundamentally unfair and
inequity is never good governance.

So I think we should all be "playing by the same rules" - either all
constituencies should have term limits, or none should.  And considering
the value in encouraging greater participation and a more robust variety
of viewpoints, the choice should be for all constituencies to have term
limits in this situation.

I agree that there may be a lot of re-shuffling of the deck (to use
Brett's great analogy), but at least the deck won't be stacked in favor
of some constituencies over others.

Thanks,
Robin