[council] Term limits

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 9 22:02:37 UTC 2006

I am getting confused with this discussion. We should be discussing how to
address the full LSE review document. That is on the Council agenda. Can we
focus first on that, please, and try to bring in some useful ideas?

I fear that this unique energy of 'let's take over the constituencies
governance' is diverting important discussions that I would think concern
all of the GNSO members, not just the councilors.

As to whether the Council should govern the constituencies, it will take
bylaw changes at the ICANN level; and constituency bylaw changes. And
changes in the scope of authority of Council. At present, Council does not
govern the constituencies; it doesn't set their fees; nor their management
structures; nor their web site content. It doesn't set qualifications for
councilors, however, but the constituencies chose through voting, who
represents them, thus establishing their own qualifications for their
councilors.

I'm not volunteering to address any of the GNSO review recommendations
piecemeal. I am in full support of discussing the review recommendations and
trying to develop suggestions for how to get broader GNSO input on ideas and
options, as well as discussing how best to work with the Board going
forward.

It surprises me to see the councilors diverting away from that larger and
important work item. Perhaps we can  focus in on how to address the full
GNSO review. For Council to take on managing the constituencies seems out of
scope to me.

Marilyn Cade
BC Councilor