[council] Term limits

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Nov 10 00:20:02 UTC 2006

Marilyn Cade wrote:

> It surprises me to see the councilors diverting away from that larger and
> important work item.

This is an age old practice in the halls of the GNSO. It shouldn't
surprise you when you see it, but that is not what is happening here. As
a councilor it is important to me, incumbent on me, to engage the my
fellow councilors in dialog so that I might better understand their
views on the various issues before council. Quite regularly, I might
disagree with the views that are expressed in these discussions, but the
important part is that the discussion has taken place and the collective
understanding is increased.

I am not proposing that we do not engage ourselves with the Board review
of the GNSO.

> Perhaps we can  focus in on how to address the full
> GNSO review. For Council to take on managing the constituencies seems out of
> scope to me.

Nor am I proposing that Council assume management of the constituencies.
I am surprised at how obtuse I've been with my characterization of the
motion I put forward. It seems that I've confused a large number of my
colleagues based on the discussion that has ensued! :)

To be clear, the proposal has nothing to do with the governance of
constituencies, their capabilities to levy fees, vet members, qualify,
form and advocate positions. Nor does my proposal prevent specific
members from participating in the work of the GNSO at Council or
otherwise. The proposal has nothing to do with the outreach that
Constituencies do, the manner they do it, or how they do it, via the web
or otherwise. In fact, my proposal has nothing to do with Constituencies
whatsoever.

My proposal is very simple - that *Council* set *limits* on the number
of consecutive terms that *Councilors* may serve.

I'm sorry if I was less than clear when I described this earlier.

-ross