[council] GNSO review - principles for discussion

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Fri Nov 10 09:41:59 UTC 2006

Dear Council members,

I feel we should set ourselves some principles upon which we wish to further discussion on
matters connected with the two reviews of the GNSO Council and the GNSO.
Allow me to propose some.

DISCUSSION BEFORE RESOLUTION

Council should have discussion on selected topics first.
Then there should be time to air that discussion with Constituencies and other parties.
Then Council should discuss the outcome of that wider discussion.
Then Council may consider a resolution.

VOTING

When Council takes any vote, be it indicative or not, the voting basis will be one person,
one vote.
(There can be no justification for having the policy-related double voting for certain
constituencies for matters such as GNSO review. To do so would be especially ironic
considering the review proposes the removal of such double votes.)

QUORUM

A proposal for priority discussion should be proposed and seconded and then supported by a
majority of constituencies before it is added to a Council agenda.
(This should help us to discuss the important things first).

Are we all in agreement with the above ? Are there other principles to help us in our work?

Philip