[council] GNSO review - principles for discussion

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sun Nov 12 22:56:31 UTC 2006

Hello Philip,

>From a Council point of view, I think we should operate as per our
current Council procedures regardless of the topic.   Currently any
member of Council may propose a motion and if it is seconded - it may be
discussed, provided it is within the mission of ICANN and on the topic
of gTLDs.   As chair I follow the bylaws, the old namescouncil rules of
procedure (which have never been updated since the GNSO was formed), and
finally generally accepted meeting rules for proposing motions etc.

I certainly support the advice that Council members first discuss a
topic via this mailing list before proposing a motion be placed on an
agenda for the Council meeting.

However there is nothing stopping the GNSO forming its own "working
group" to look at refining the GNSO in response to the two reviews, and
the rules for this working group could be different (e.g one vote per
member etc).

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin