[council] FYI - participation pilot project, Sao Paulo meeting

Maria Farrell maria.farrell at icann.org
Wed Nov 15 19:50:14 UTC 2006

Dear Council members,

ICANN staff have been working with community members in Latin America to
create a set of orientation activities for new participants at the Sao Paulo
meeting. We have worked with GNSO participants and ICANN's regional liaison
in the region, Pablo Hinojosa, to identify and invite members of the Latin
American business and technical community to take part in a series of events
at the meeting. These will include social events and participation at
informational events such as the tutorials.

We hope to have approximately a dozen interested potential new participants
to whom we will provide information materials, and introduce to GNSO
constituency members during the ICANN meeting. The goal is to familiarise
these potential participants with ICANN issues and processes, and follow up
with them after the meeting to facilitate a continued involvement, if
appropriate.

To ensure that we have cast as wide a net as possible, I would like to
invite you to suggest individuals who might also take part in focused
orientation activities and benefit from follow up after the meeting.
Individuals from the business community, technical/industry experts, and
developers of new business models using the Internet would be welcome to
participate.

This activity is being done as a pilot project to take advantage of
opportunities to boost participation in the Latin American region, and to
provide solid information for developing a comprehensive participation
project.

Section 4 of the ICANN Operating Plan (Section entitled; '4.   Increase
participation in and efficiency of the ICANN multi-stakeholder environment',
http://www.icann.org/announcements/operating-plan-22jun06.htm) sets out the
objectives  and activities of the participation project:

The strategic objective is to improve and deepen participation in the
ICANN's process by:

4.1.3
The business community
4.1.4
Technical and industry experts
4.1.5
Developers of new business models that use the Internet

When the actual project begins (projected in first quarter of 2007), it
will:

*	Develop a set of project objectives in consultation with ICANN
constituency organisations,
*	Develop and implement a "recruitment plan" (including metrics and
targets) of leading technical, business and policy individuals that
describes the benefits and opportunities associated with participation in
the ICANN model
*	Use increased participation to enhance Supporting Organisation and
Advisory Committee effectiveness

ICANN staff will use the lessons learnt during the pilot project to share
with the community in order to inform the project's objectives, metrics and
implementation plan.

If you wish to suggest individuals to participate in activities during the
Sao Paulo meeting, please email me to let me know.

Many thanks, Maria